Friday, November 30, 2012

Thrift Tips

Hey all you thrifters out there! and those just getting into the swing of things (what have you been waiting for? :-) ) I have some tips for you to get the most out of your thrifting experience(s) and to hopefully help you make the most of your trips to the thrift. I hope the acronym TKO will help you to remember these 3 steps!
  1. THOROUGHLY examine each item!  There is nothing worse than unpacking your finds at home only to discover that that awesome top you found has a stain you can't remove on the back.  I've overlooked some unrepairable flaws time and again, and still do every now and then. Now I try to inspect every item before I purchase.  If the store has fitting rooms, I try iitems on as well.  Check the buttons, as you may notice that one is being held in place by a safety pin, which would requite mending.  Speaking of which safety pins tend to disquise a lot of imperfections.  Turn the garment inside out! Make sure there are no holes, defects in construction etc.

  2. Know your discount days Most thrift stores have either a day of the week where all items are discounted or special discounts each day. The Goodwills in my area have 50% off different colored tags each week.  Whereas the Salvation Army's have one day/week where everything is 50% off and other stores have different pricing for all items every day.  I know some people who will ONLY buy the discounted items at thrift stores! Now, that's getting the most bang for your buck!

  3. Go OFTEN I can't tell you how often I hear "You find the cutest stuff I NEVER find anything when I go." There is power in numbers and the more you go thrifting the more items you are likely to find!  There are thrift stores that add stock every 30 minutes, now if you go thrifting once weekly, you've missed out on thousands of added inventory.  If you have the time, and want to incorporate thrifting into your way of life, go as often as you can.
What are your tips? Happy Thrifting! Sincerely yours, Fly

     

     

     

1 comment:

  1. Great advice!!! It took me sometime to really enjoy thrifting and finding very unique things. The more I would stop in the more I would find.

    ReplyDelete