Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Today I Lost My Dad...to Suicide...

Today, four years ago, I lost my father to suicide. Ironically Juneteenth is celebrated on today. Juneteenth being when slaves were told of their freedom. A day, I believe my father was set free from his depression and mental illness. And a day that I was the hardest day of my life.


On this day, my life was forever changed. I remember the day of his death feeling so alone. My family didn't know what to say to me. And left me alone the time I needed them most. Because they thought I needed my space. My cousins and aunt basically took over arrangements, and I felt like I was just an onlooker in the planning of my fathers funeral.

I too remember how my friend Kristie came to my rescue and to my house to keep me company. Her and her two boys were the shining light of my darkest day. Tiffany and Ebony also came to the rescue and I will never forget them on the day of my dads passing.

I remember waking up June 20th and being unable to open my eyes. The tears had sealed them shut and I had to pry them open.

I had to be strong also...I had an event to host on June 20th. And I was there. Had to show the world my face, moved on with life and surrounding myself with about 15 other women who I loved. I wasn't going to miss that event...

I hated my father. Until I realized it was not at all my fathers doing. But an illness and spirit that he tried his damndest to control, but couldnt. Then I forgave him and vowed to honor his life until my death.

I raise funds and awareness for a cause that led me to my healing of this tragedy. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has helped me to understand so much in regards to mental illness and depression.

Please take a few moments to watch me speak about Suicide at the link below and if so moved, please consider donating to my annual suicide prevention fundraiser

No comments:

Post a Comment